A few years ago, it was all about schools having websites parents could use to view comments, grades, and assignments, as well as school calendars and events online. Mobile app development has exploded since then and more and more businesses use apps to communicate with their customers and clientele. Most children these days seem to have some sort of mobile device and many parents have at least one, if not two smart phones. Does your school have a mobile app? What can a mobile app do for schools, students, and parents?
- Homework: It’s difficult for parents to keep up to speed with all the tasks, sports, and assignments of their children. An app that allows students and parents to view homework assignments ensures that everyone is on the same page and that assignments are not missed.
- Grades: Typically, parents have to wait until report cards come out to see how their children are doing in school. With a mobile app and a secure sign-in, parents can view daily grades and averages, allowing them to address issues early on.
- Schedules: All kinds of schedules could be published – school calendars, student club or organization meetings, open houses, parent-teacher conferences, etc.
- News: Publish school news. Teacher or student of the month? Recognize them with your app. Bake sale next Tuesday? Got it. Weather delays or closures? Put out the word. A mobile app can quickly get the news out to parents and students.
- Directories: Put your staff directory in an app and make it quickly available to those looking for phone numbers or e-mail addresses.
- Library: Students could reserve books to check out. They could also check when books are due or to pay fines for late returns.
- Cafeteria: Publish the lunch menu for today, tomorrow, or next week. Reload a lunch or meal card or account.
- Athletics: Publish game schedules, scores, and standings. Post photos and news highlights.
- Volunteers: Need a parent to volunteer in the office or library? Post it on a mobile app.
Keeping parents and students involved and invested in the day-to-day business of the school is a vital function of any school. A mobile app allows publication of all kinds of information students (and their parents) need to succeed.
Does you school have an app with other features? Leave a comment and tell us about it.